If you make a living as a writer or want to finally kick ass and write that world changing manifesto you will have to learn to battle writer’s block.
[highlight]Strategies To Overcome Writer’s Block:[/highlight]
- Force yourself to free write for a half hour with an app like Focus Booster or a kitchen timer. If it’s total crap, just delete it- but chances are, it’s something to work with.
- Go for a walk or change up the scenery.
- Leave your work to do something new totally & uncomfortable.
- Call someone really annoying to get your blood boiling or reconnect with a friend to soothe your nerves.
- Delve into creative work that doesn’t involve writing but gets the juices flowing- sketching, crafting, interior design.
- Go for a ride on public transit and write down everything you see or craft a story around it to get your brain trained for more writing.
- Mindmap or brainstorm ideas for a completely different project. Having something else to contribute to will ease the frustration that feeds the creative blockage.
- Without it being a distraction in itself- see if there’s something about your setting that’s throwing you off your game. Try a different chair, adjust the lighting, put on some music.
- You could just be hungry. Skip the Lean Cuisine & poptarts- cook something savory, nourishing and totally from scratch. Feed the soul & the tummy to get creativity flowing.
- Take a break & read books from authors who write about creativity- Ken Robinson, Todd Henry, Scott Belsky.
- Put on the dorkiest music you can find and dance like a hipster for 3 minutes before you sit down to write.
Writers block is the most frustrating thing ever…I don’t blog but whenever I have to write for class or work it seems I can sit and watch the cursor blink in the Word Doc for hours and I just want to give up. I’ll then go on pinterest or Facebook for who knows how long and hope for the best but it doesn’t help. I appreciate the ideas on this- it’ll help!